When you think a product shoot, you probably imagine a glamorous studio setting, lighting set just so, and a photographer like me climbing around carefully placed items to get the angle just so. And while it's usually low on glamour, the rest is certainly true (especially the climbing around!). But before we get there, a lot of steps need to fall into place to make sure the photos that result exceed your expectations.
To do that, I rely on a set pre-production process that makes sure we'll be ready for the actual shoot:
- First, we kick off with a conference call. I provide an overview of the process as a whole, but the main focus of our discussion is what you're looking for and what you need to get out of the shoot.
- Then as follow up to our call, I provide you with a Treatment for the project. A full treatment includes: example photos for lighting, posing, and setting; cost estimate; full shot list; and estimate Call Sheet with a full breakdown of timing for the entire day.
- Next, we have another call to go over the treatment together and make sure you're comfortable with everything.
- After that, things on my end kick into full gear, making phone calls and arranging everything from models to make up to transportation in preparation for our shoot.
- The day before we shoot, you'll come by with any props, products, or clothing needed. This varies a bit by shoot - when doing fashion shoots, for example, clients like to hang up and arrange all the clothing to be photographed. For product shoots, we'll often do a bit of placement in preparation.
- Then the big day! With all our preparation already done, the focus of the shoot is on getting the right photos and running according to our plans. We'll also take time on the day of the shoot to select the best images, making sure we have everything that's needed (before we pack up!)
After the shoot, with images selected and expectations clear, I turn around the post production work in a timely fashion so you're not left waiting weeks for the photos. During this and the entire process, my focus is entirely on making sure I know what your expectations are - so I can exceed them.